Numerous European cities are microcosms where tens of languages are spoken everyday and where social dualization keeps on growing. As such, our cities gather all the living-together challenges in Europe. They also are the reflection of the world’s diversity and richness and constitute a fascinating laboratory for creativity and the emergence of alternative models and new practices. Creativity and diversity are the signature of Europe. In the era of globalization and digitalization, it is about questioning ourselves on the place of the city and its cultures in the future mutations: which role for culture facing superdiversity and the digital development? Isn’t the creative city a matter of survival for the cities of today?
Consult the whole Kurt Salmon « Institutions culturelles et grands diffuseurs : comment doivent-ils se réformer à l’ère du numérique ? » here conducted as part of the 2014 edition of the Forum d’Avignon on the theme « Réformer par la culture ». This study will be discussed during the debates of Les Ateliers de la Cité.
1:30 pm-3:00 pm
Opening: Jean-Louis Colinet, Director of the Théâtre National
Urbanity, nationality and European identity
- Artistic diversification and socio-political mobilisation in multicultural cities: Marco Martiniello, Director of CEDEM, professor at the College of Europe and the University of Liège.
- Making the city together in superdiversity (cultural, ethnic, social), the case of Brussels: Eric Corijn, philosopher of culture and sociologist, professor at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel.
3:30 pm-5:00 pm
Smart cities, smart culture: user manual
At the time of globalization and Internet, how should we rethink the creative city?
- Immediacy, hyper choices, innovation: is culture consumed differently?
- Presentation by Kurt Salmon / Forum d’Avignon of the study “Instantaneity, hyper choice, innovation: is culture being consumed differently?”
- New technologies and creative cities
Round table with Pascal Keiser, Technocité/Mons 2015, Olivier Le Guay, Editorial Manager Forum d’Avignon, Laure Kaltenbach, Managing Director Forum d’Avignon Philippe Pestanes, Partner, Practice Leader Telecom & Medias - Kurt Salmon, Thomas Paris, Researcher at CNRS, Scientific director of the Media, Art, Creation (MAC) program at HEC School in Paris.
5:30 pm-7:00 pm
Culture and superdiversity
Cities are undergoing tremendous changes: an increasing population, an economic and cultural superdiversity… Facing these challenges, which cultural projects do we want?
Round table with Myriam Stoffen, Director of Zinneke, Fabrizio Cassols (subject to availability), Jean-Louis Colinet, Director of the Théâtre National, Jan Goossens, Director of the KVS, Paul Rondin, Deputy Director of the Festival d’Avignon, Françoise Bloch, Director, Benoit Piret, Actor and member of the Raoul Collective. Moderating the debate: Alexandre Caputo, Artistic consultant of the Théâtre National.
8:00 pm-10:30 pm
Which challenges for culture in Europe in the age of globalization and superdiversity?
Debate led by Béatrice Delvaux, Editor-in-chief of the newspaper Le Soir.
- Joëlle Milquet, Minister of Education and Culture of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation
- Eric Corijn, Philosopher of culture and sociologist, professor at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Hadja Lahbib, Journalist at RTBF and Arte Belgium, film maker (subject to availability)
- Philippe Van Parijs, Hoover Chair on social and economic ethics, University of Louvain
Les Ateliers de la Cité is an initiative of the civil society stakeholders for the creative city as a factor of social cohesion and innovation:
- To develop the conditions of emergence and appropriation of the creative city;
- To generate a new methodology of cultural and creative entrepreneuship;
- To propose concrete links between cities, metropolises and regions in Europe.
The partners: le Théâtre National/ Bruxelles - le Festival d’Avignon - le Forum d’Avignon - Technocité - Mons 2015 - Villes en scène / Cities on stage.
- Festival d’Avignon: 11 > 12 July 2014
- Théâtre National à Bruxelles : 22 January 2015
- Mons 2015, capitale européenne de la culture: spring 2015
- Festival d’Avignon: July 2015
With the support of the Culture program of the European Union in the project Villes en Scène/Cities on stage.